So, I recently attended a 'Canine First Aid Workshop' which was so very useful. I learnt such a lot, not only for my business as a Dog Walker and Pet Sitter but also for myself as a pet owner.
The course, among other things, taught us what to do in the event of an animal being injured or taken ill and how to prevent any further injury, relieve suffering or deterioration where possible and temporarily dress a wound in order to effectively transport the animal to the Vets.
I didn't know you could give an animal the Heimlich manoeuvre, but it is possible! You can also give kiss of life!
Also learnt about various poisons. I did know some things which we eat are poisonous to animals, but some I didn't know.
I think all in all a very worthwhile course and one which all pet owners could benefit from so Thank you North K9 Training.
Please find below a list of common poisons;
- Venom- toad/snake
- Weed killers- paraquat, herbicides
- Sump oil
- Benzoic acid
- Paracetamol (CATS!)
- Insecticides/Organophoshates (some flea collars and spot ons)
- Slug pellets
- Rodenticides- warfrin
- Chocolate- Theobromine
- Xylitol- sweetener in sugar free foods
- Peach- cyanide!
- Apple seeds-cyanide
- Avacado- profuse diahorrea